1959 Class News- Fall 2015

Posted by

Anne Wilson Heuisler

To classmates:

Here is the fall email version of class news. This version will go online. Please let me know if you want me to omit your news from the website version, and I will delete your news before sending to Ashley Wilson at Hood. I will condense this to the 750-word limit for the fall/winter magazine.

If you have a classmate/friend who does not use email, please print out a copy and send it to her and encourage her to mail me her news.

Many thanks to Mary-Lou Trout Haddad for spearheading the class Blazer Brick project. Her original goal was to solicit donations for a $700 6×9 brick for the special Plaza near Alumnae Hall. Classmates quickly contributed over $1,000, so the Class of 1959 will be remembered with a larger brick.

6/4/2015 The group brick for 1959 was installed this week and is in the plaza. A lot of classmates were very generous, with 24 supporting the brick efforts and raising $1,350.

Susan Lorene (Read) Beebe

Beebe, (Read) Susan Lorene 08/01/1937~01/27/2015 & Beebe, Gary Scott 08/12/1933~02/14/2014

Susan Lorene Beebe, age 77, of Oceanside, California, passed away on Tuesday, January 27, 2015, less than a year after her beloved husband of 53 years, Gary Scott Beebe. Susan was born on July 1, 1937, in New York City, the daughter of Ralph and Lorene (Hill) Read. Susan attended Hood College and the University of Michigan. Following graduation with her B.A. major in Journalism and minor in English, she moved to California where she worked as an editor until her marriage to Gary Scott Beebe. In the ensuing years, she taught Sunday school and volunteered until she earned an Elementary Teaching Credential in 1973 and taught elementary school for 13 years.

Gary was born to Murray and Marion (Hawkes) Beebe in New Haven, Connecticut, on August 12, 1933. He moved to southern California with his family in his early years and served in the United States Air Force. He then had a highly successful 30 year career as an Engineer with Hughes Aircraft Company in Torrance, California.

Following their retirement, Susan and Gary moved to Lake Tahoe where they both enjoyed skiing, sailing, and traveling. After ten years in Lake Tahoe, they relocated to their ranch in Sandpoint, Idaho. In 2012 they moved much closer to family, in Oceanside, California, where Susan devoted her days to faithfully and tirelessly taking care of Gary until his passing in 2014. She was a member of St. Margaret’s Catholic Church in Oceanside. Susan is survived by her brother, James Read (Georgianna) of Sun City, Arizona, and both Susan and Gary are survived by loving daughters Lore (Chris) Hines of Sparks, NV, Diana (Rolf) Baumgartner of Ventura, California, Heather (Eric) Corcoran of Oceanside, California, devoted son, Murray (Carol) Beebe, of Lake Forest, California and grandchildren Joshua Atkinson, Megan Baumgartner, Derek Baumgartner, Michael Corcoran, and Savannah Beebe. Both Susan and Gary were preceded in death by their parents, and grandchildren, Barry Atkinson and Christine Atkinson. A private celebration of their life together will be held in the spring. We will always carry the memory of Gary and Susan in our hearts.
Published in U-T San Diego on Feb. 14, 2015

Elizabeth Chinn Rossi
Elizabeth Chinn “Betty” Rossi, 77, died peacefully on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2015, at her daughter’s home in Pennsylvania, surrounded by those who loved her.
She was born in Fredericksburg on Nov. 14, 1937, to Walter N. Chinn Jr. and Lucy Warner Chinn, both of whom preceded her in death. She was a proud alumna of Hood College in Frederick, Md., and received her master’s in education from the University of Delaware. She spent more than 40 years as a classroom teacher and reading specialist. An avid writer, reader and hiker, Betty was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Ascension in Gaithersburg, Md., and gave her time selflessly. She is survived by her husband, Charles E. Rossi; sister Lucy Chinn Carroll; daughter Jeannette Cassidy Moore and husband Richard; stepdaughter Nancy Cassidy Kennard and husband Donald; stepdaughter Allison Lois Cassidy and spouse Barbara; grandchildren Ronan, Elizabeth and Sean Moore and Melissa Kennard; and nephews Elliott Luke and Simeon Paul Morrow. A memorial service to honor Betty will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 17, at the Episcopal Church of the Ascension, 205 S. Summit Ave., Gaithersburg. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Betty’s memory to the Outreach Committee, Episcopal Church of the Ascension, Gaithersburg.


Dear all,
Kenny moved from her beloved Highfields Farm in Epping after she retired from teaching. The only obituary says she was born Dec 27, 1937, and died on Sat. April 5, 2014. She was a resident of Brentwood, NH. We always stayed in touch, and my family stayed with her on several occasions. She developed arthritis and finished her education career as a counselor. She was a wonderful person.

From Carol Wick Erickson 7/13/2015:
Hi, My roommate freshman year, Lindy Thompson Mumma, died last week. She was at Hood 2 years and lived in Lancaster, Pa., after marrying Harvey Munmma.

Melinda Thomson Mumma, 77
June 27, 2015
Melinda T. Mumma, 77, of Lancaster, passed away at Homestead Village on Saturday, June 27, 2015. She was the wife Harvey M. Mumma for 57 years. Melinda was born in Manhattan to the late Hugh and Elizabeth (Laidlaw) Thomson. Melinda graduated from Suffern High School, Suffern, NY, and attended Hood College, Frederick, MD. A very family oriented homemaker, she was a loving wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Melinda enjoyed crossword puzzles and reading, playing cards, cooking and spending precious time with friends. She also loved the American West and Native American cultures. She was a member of St. Edward’s Episcopal Church, the Homestead Village Auxiliary and the former Lancaster Woman’s Club.
In addition to her husband Harvey, Melinda is survived by her sons, Kenneth of Chester Springs, PA, and David of Port St. Lucie, FL; her daughter Nancy E. Mumma of Lancaster; and her grandchildren Jenny and Kenneth and great-grandchildren Jordan and Chase, all of Florida. Melinda also cherished her daughters-in-law, Ken’s wife Moira and David’s late wife Tammy. A memorial service will take place Saturday, July 11 at 11 a.m. at St. Edwards Episcopal Church, with The Reverend Canon Stephen C. Casey officiating. Melinda’s family will receive friends from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the church, and a light lunch will be provided at the church immediately following the service. Private interment took place in Conestoga Memorial Park. Please omit flowers. Memorial contributions may be made to Homestead Village Endowment Fund, PO Box 3227, Lancaster, PA 17603 or to St. Edwards Episcopal Church, 2543 Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster, PA 17601.

Sandy Barnum Nygaard 1937 – 2015

Virginia Beach – We invite you to celebrate the life of Sandy Nygaard, a local award winning artist, business leader and founder of Sandy’s Touch of Gold. She was an amazing wife of 58+ years, mother and grandmother who made friends everywhere she went as she traveled the U.S. and the world.

Sandra Barnum Nygaard (Sandy) was born on May 9th, 1937 to RADM Robert (USNA ’33) and Audrey Barnum in New Rochelle, New York. In 1943, the family moved to Santiago, Chile where her father was assigned as Military Liaison in the American Embassy and Naval Intelligence Officer. In 1947, the family moved to Shanghai, China, where her father served as the import/export manager for a U. S. corporation. In 1948, with 48 hour notice, the family left China and settled in Scarsdale, New York, where Sandy attended high school. In 1955, Sandy entered Hood College in Frederick, MD. She met her future husband while singing the Messiah with the U. S. Naval Academy choir. In 1957, she and Ensign Richard Nygaard (USNA ’57), began a navy career which took her to Naples, Italy, where their first son Steve was born, Newport, RI, Annapolis, MD, Washington, DC, where their second son David was born, Lawrence, KS, Springfield, MD, China Lake, CA, Alameda, CA, and Norfolk, VA. While in Washington, she was asked by the head of Navy’s Retention Study Group to investigate reasons for poor retention of experienced Navy personnel. Her conclusion was that Navy wives were unhappy with their treatment by the Navy and were convincing their husbands to leave the service. After briefing the Chief of Naval Operations and Secretary of the Navy on her proposed solution to the retention problem, she founded the Navy Wifeline Association and served as its Executive Secretary, co-director, and a member of the Advisory Board. If you ever wondered where the idea of a Navy Ombudsman came from it was from Sandy. Her idea was to appoint an Ombudsman for each ship to coordinate with the wives at home and help solve the many needs of Navy families while their spouses were deployed. This program continues to this day. In 1972, she followed her husband to China Lake, CA, where she became interested in finding rocks and minerals in the high desert, then cutting and polishing of the gem stones and creating jewelry when she became an accomplished silver smith and lapidary. From this beginning, she became a jeweler and award winning designer at regional art shows where she showed as Sandy’s Sterling and Stones. She opened two successful jewelry stores in Norfolk and Virginia Beach, VA called Sandy’s Touch of Gold. She was innovative in her ability to combine hand fabricated fine jewelry with fun fashion jewelry. Her store was a key business in the success of Waterside Festival Marketplace from opening day in 1983 to 1990. She was an early business leader and mentor among the host of women entering business in the 80’s. In 1995, she retired from the business and began a 15 year adventure of travel throughout the United States and Western Canada visiting numerous national parks and monuments and Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, BWI where she and her husband purchased a condominium. She was an avid camper. Her passion led her to create a camping guide published for Navy Wifeline in the early 70′s.

She passed away peacefully at her home surrounded by her family on July 10, 2015. She is survived by her husband, Captain Richard Nygaard, her sister, Patricia Rich, son Steven (USNA ’80), Son David (William and Mary ’86), and eight grandchildren. She will be interred at the U. S. Naval Academy. A celebration of her life is planned at The Lestner Inn on Shore Drive on Tuesday, July 21st from 12:30 to 2pm. In lieu of flowers she asked that tax deductible donations be made to the Nygaard Foundation to help children’s education and health needs.
Published in The Virginian Pilot on July 16, 2015


Jacqueline Gifford Miller Realty agent and boutique owner in Summit who retired in Georgia, 77.

Jacqueline Gifford Miller, 77, of Milton, Ga., passed away on Saturday, July 25, 2015, at Embracing Hospice in Cumming, Ga. She was the daughter of Josephine McNab Gifford and Harry Harrison Gifford. She was born in Syracuse, N.Y., and became a longtime resident of Summit, N.J., and a graduate of Summit High School in 1955. She attended Hood College and Syracuse University. She and her husband retired to Chapel Hill, N.C., and then to Milton, Ga. Jacqueline was known as a loving wife, mom, and friend. She was an avid and talented sewer, knitter, and crocheter. She was the owner of Whistles, Inc., a local Summit boutique specializing in unique gifts, jewelry, and clothing, which was located on Maple Street and then later on Springfield Ave in Summit. Throughout the years, she was also a realtor in the Summit area. Surviving are her husband, Franklin S. Miller; a son, Charles Alling Miller, of Barnegat, N.J.; a daughter, Jacqueline Anne Miller, of Milton, Ga., and four grandchildren, Charles Alling Miller, Jr. and Nanci Jacqueline Miller, of Barnegat, N.J., and Susannah Alling Jordshaugen and Robert Alling Hoxie Jordshaugen of Milton, Ga., and one great-grandchild, Aubrey Skye Lenihan of Barnegat, N.J. Funeral services will be held on Friday, Aug. 7, 2015, at 10 a.m. at St. Brendan Catholic Church in Cumming, Ga. Interment will follow at Sawnee View Gardens Cemetery in Cumming, Ga. Condolences may be expressed at www.mcdonaldandson.com.
Published in Star-Ledger on Aug. 7, 2015

Elizabeth Kuntz Held 1937 – 2015
Elizabeth K. “Betsy” Held, 78, of State College, died Monday, August 10, 2015, at Juniper Village at Brookline, State College, after a lengthy illness.
Born February 26, 1937, in Upper Darby, she was the daughter of the late Stephen and Grace Hoffman Kuntz. She married Richard G. Held at Valley Forge on May 10, 1962, who survives at home.
Elizabeth and Richard raised two children who survive, Raymond Held and his wife, Julia, of Chapel Hill, NC, and Thomas W. Held and his wife, Jane, of Pasadena, CA. Also surviving are a brother, Steven Kuntz, of Merritt, NC, a sister, Susan Rohde, of Durham, NC, and five grandchildren, Evan, Laura, Heather, Andrew and Brooke. Betsy was a 1955 graduate of Upper Darby High School and a 1959 graduate of Hood College receiving a bachelor’s degree in Biology. She was employed with Wyeth Pharmaceuticals in Radnor, working in cancer research. She was later employed by Park Forest Elementary School and Penn State.
She was a member of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church and a volunteer at Schlow Memorial Library both in State College. Betsy enjoyed the seashore, nature, traveling and time she spent with her family. She was also an avid fiction reader. A memorial service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 5, 2015, at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 208 W. Foster Avenue, State College, with Reverend Joseph DeLauter, Deacon, officiating. There will be a luncheon and an opportunity to reconnect with family and friends at 1:00 p.m. at the Ramada Conference Center in the Terrace Room, 1450 S. Atherton Street, State College.
Inurnment will be in St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church Columbarium.
In lieu of flowers, please consider contributions to Schlow Memorial Library, 211 S. Allen St., State College, PA 16801 or PAWS, 1401 Trout Road, State College, PA 16801.

Diana d’Elseaux Lowell
We knew what she thought.
She listened with compassion.
Diana d’E Lowell, 77, died on July 4 after a brief illness. She leaves behind her husband of 55 years, Fred Lowell, and daughters Del Lowell and Karen Langholz Lowell. Also surviving are sisters Vee Kausel and Angie Wakefield and her grandchildren Jakob and Elsie Langholz.
Diana was a member of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Lancaster since 1987 and was involved in all levels of the congregation, including serving as Board president and leader of the Care Committee. In addition to being a daughter, sister, wife, mother and friend, she was a tireless volunteer in the community. She loved kids, Spanish, people, learning, writing and playing and she gave generously of herself to these causes. While raising her children in Lancaster she was involved with Shared Holiday, a local fresh air program co-sponsored by the Council of Churches and YWCA. She sat on the YWCA Board of Directors, and participated with Project 81 in the School District of Lancaster. Additionally, she was a full time volunteer at Burrowes Elementary School for 18 years. Later in life, after she was diagnosed with macular degeneration, she volunteered in the preschool classroom at the Susquehanna Association for the Blind and Vision Impaired. Diana served as a board member for VisionCorps as well participating with the speaker’s bureau for Hospice.
A Celebration of Life will be held at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Lancaster, 538 W. Chestnut Street, on July 25 at 10:00 am. Family will greet friends immediately after the service. Later the same day, there will be a Life Well Lived Gathering at Willow Valley, 300 Willow Valley Lakes Drive, in the multi-purpose room from 1:00-3:00 pm.
It is Diana’s wish that in lieu of flowers donations be made in her memory to VisionCorps Foundation via mail to 244 N. Queen Street, Suite 301, Lancaster, PA 17603, online at www.visioncorps.net or by calling 717-393-5894.



Going to my 60th high school reunion in Richmond, Va. Hope to see some fall color that is not available in Florida!! Will visit my brother too and plan to see Mary Faith West .


Phil and I are looking forward to Thanksgiving. I am thankful that our son and his family are hosting the dinner. Our daughter and our niece, together with both of their families, will both be staying with us.
As others have commented, all is well and there is not much news. And that is indeed a good thing.

The capt/owner has been recovering from surgery since March 15 so I have been aboard alone. It has been an exciting time during which I have also spent a number of days on Spirit of Independence in Key West visiting and sometimes, guest crewing. We begin the sail north around May 1 arriving in Maine in time for granddaughter Tarun’s graduation with two degrees at UNB (Canada). From there I shall be joining a friend to sail the coast of Maine from east to west returning to Bangor for Lauren’s high school graduation. Cameron is the last high school graduate end of June on PEI, Canada. I fly to Bahamas on Oct. 18 to crew on a sailboat for two weeks in the Abacos. The boat is there, is untouched by Joaquin, and ready for fun. Back to Baltimore on Nov 1 with uncertain sailing plans, however, I will be spending Christmas with Merryman and family at Banff, ALT. Merryman and Stephen just moved NW Edmonton where Stephen is working on a tarsands project for the next 3-5 years. I will be back in the Keys for winter. The adventure continues; will let you know what the next chapter is.

Hope you are doing well. Age has a way of creeping up on us. We have a few aches and pains but we are still able to move around. Thank God. Our family has three graduations this year, two college and one high school. We are only making it to the high school graduation. The others are in Chicago and Boston. The end of May we are going to Hawaii with our son, Joe and his family. I’m looking forward to a relaxing stay. If I didn’t make it for the summer magazine save this for winter. Thanks so much for doing this.

Better late than never! Just came from the states after an eventful two months. Phil Coppage and a few friends passed away so the trip was quite emotional. Our three sons each presented their own eulogy and any Mom would have been proud. I also was able to travel around Maine to Bar Harbor, Bangor, Freeport and Augusta. The purpose of the trip was to join old high school classmates for our 60th reunion which was oodles of fun. I came home to an empty house as Frank is now in an aged care facility. He had his 94th birthday while I was gone. Life continues to change in many ways as we approach 80! Thanks for your continued effort to keep us all informed. Cheers!

6/6/15 I boarded the QM2 on Jan 3 in NYC and sailed on her 2015 world voyage. We went through the Mediterranean and Suez around Arabia, up to the Emirates, stopped in India and then went to Singapore and Hong Kong before meandering through Malaysia and Indonesia to arrive for our month in Australia and New Zealand. Back by Africa….saw Victoria Falls and rode an elephant……and back to Southampton and NYC. 35,000 miles, 40 ports of call. An amazing voyage…..took 4 months. I’m still on a high. but it’s good to be back….Maryland looked lush and green. I sailed out of New York on January 3 on the Queen Mary 2, the largest ocean liner in the world and the pride of Cunard. She is one magnificent ship. 1100 ft long, 155 ft tall….same height as the Wash Monument. My home for the voyage was on deck 12, behind the bridge, with a port side balcony. The 3 Queens met and set sail together from Southampton and met a couple of times as we all circumnavigated the globe. Our first stops were in Spain and Rome, then we crossed to the Suez and picked up a mercenary guard with big boxes of ammunition. We also had air support and a Japanese warship patrolling the recommended international travel lanes as we went through the canal and the Red Sea. We were 81 miles from Somalia and Yemen, with nary a bad man in sight. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are spectacular.. Architecturally amazing and practically crime free, due to Sharia law. We had an overland to the Taj and one stop in India, then on to Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam [took a side trip to Anghor Wat] and Hong Kong. We were 7000 miles east of NY. Sailing for 6 weeks through Malaysia and Indochina was exciting and upsetting. The rain forests and jungles are gorgeous, but much of the natural beauty is being destroyed, some islands are littered with junk and trash, the young dancing girls are beautiful, the temples sumptuous, malnutrition is heartbreaking and the lack of public education is maddening. The ship gave a group cheer when we arrived in Australia on March 3. We were so glad to be back in a happy, healthy modern society. 8 stops in AU and 4 in New Zealand, which I think is the most beautiful country on earth,made for a magical month of sightseeing. Water water everywhere. I rode in a Maori canoe. I had to paddle! Along with 20 others, in sync, to the beat. Took a ‘copter ride over the Bay of Island and I think I have never seen such pristine beauty. I could see boulders on the ocean floor! We spent days sailing under the bottom of AU and many more days at sea to reach South Africa, where we picked up Mr Le Clerk, who came on board to give talks. Our lectures all 126 days were of such quality that I felt I was enjoying a floating Chautauqua. 18 of us took off to see Victoria Falls … WOW! , ride an elephant, go on game drives and cruise down the Zambezi river. 5 days later we rejoined our ship in Cape Town, perhaps the most beautiful coastal town on earth { My LeClerc’s words} We stopped in Namibia, the Grand Canaries and Madeira before rejoining the other Queens in Southampton. 2440 passengers got off ship and we took on that many more new people for the Atlantic crossing. I was devastated. Almost everyone I knew was gone, for good. 35,000 miles after sailing out of New York I was back. One happy traveler. As Winston Churchill put it, “It isn’t that I dislike living on land. It’s just that living at sea is better.”

9/17 It is working well spending long summer in Bethany lots of company
Then back to DC On the Board of co op where I live and enjoy theatre and Opera and travel
Am spending 6 months in Delaware -Bethany Beach and the rest in Washington DC at my co op Harbour Square on the Potomac. It is an exciting area of DC with the massive development of the Waterfront
Have had some wonderful travels to Madrid, Mexico and a culinary adventure in Sardinia a wonderful part of Italy. My family is all well Chrysti teaching in Memphis at St Mary’s Terry in Milwaukee with Lori
Granddaughter Cassi is getting married in May 2016 TJ in Madison Wi working for ESPN and Abby a sophomore at Miami of Ohio. I get to visit them all and so happy that all are thriving
Am looking forward to representing Class of 59 at upcoming Inaugural of our new President whom O had the pleasure of entertaining at Bethany this summer and am very impressed and think she will be great for Hood
Hope all is well.

Norm and I moved into assisted living in late July and it has taken some pressure off of me. It’s strange that I don’t have to cook as our meals are included in the rent of the apartment. I have only one piano student and don’t plan to advertise for any more students. A friend and I hope to play duets during the lunch hour occasionally in our dining room, especially at Christmas. Goodbye to summer and the heat at last and I’m not sure I want to welcome winter! There were lots of fires in our state, one as close as 9 miles away. Many thanks to those who brought the fires under control and eventually put them out. Some rain also helped that effort. Norm is doing as well as can be expected. No long trips for me the past six months so I was unable to attend the funeral for my 91-year-old brother in western New York.

Wonderful trip to Maine in September, Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor, whale watch and lobster, also visited cousin Ethel Kintigh Spence ’62 in Salem, MA, fun city. All well, not much news, which is a good thing!

Ann, Thanks for continuing to report our news. I am just getting past a scary event, dermatomyositis (auto immune) caused a rash over my body and muscles weakness, hopefully I’m in remission. Will be heading to the Greek Islands in Nov. for a tour and then several days in Athens. Otherwise I’m doing the same old same old, with the Long Bay Symphony and Brookgreen Gardens & with volunteering now and then at the homeless mission. Will enjoy the many cultural arts opportunities here and enjoy my South Carolina family and friends. Come see me!

J. P. says she has “blessings to count.” She continues to dedicate her body to medical science. She sends best wishes to all ‘59ers.

Holiday celebrated here with friends… Eileen stayed in N.C. as I was in Raleigh in April, we went together to Jeffrey’s graduation in May, I saw her in D.C. In June and we were together for 2 weeks in Alaska in July; I was with Jim and his family in Rehoboth for Labor Day week-end and saw my brother, sister-in-law and nieces, nephews, etc then SO felt like I touched base with family before holiday, so no need to drive to Baltimore or Rockville.

One granddaughter is finishing her doctorate at Lehigh in chemistry and her sister is a sophomore at Villanova. Her brother is a graduate of Albright. Another granddaughter is a senior at UVM, but doing a semester in Brussels now…while her sister is a freshman and a chem major at Syracuse Univ.

I decided to retire (again) from teaching at Stevenson University, but like Michael Corleone in The Godfather, “as soon as I try to get out, they pull me back in.” This year I am tutoring in the Writing Center on the Greenspring Campus of SU. I enjoy the students & have NO PREP OR HOMEWORK. I’m in my 5th year as clerk of the session at Brown Memorial Park Avenue Presbyterian Church, and though it’s a lot of work, I find it very stimulating to work with a smart & diverse group of people. I spend Tuesday mornings at Turnaround Tuesday, helping “returning citizens” (ex-prisoners) get resumes & cover letters in order and apply for jobs. Very rewarding. I’m going to MN to see Pete & family at the end of October, & Lizzy will come from Santa Monica for the holidays. Jeannette & her family are 6 miles away. I am glad to have one of three nearby.
These were my favorite books read in 2015:

Joyce Rachel, Perfect
Tyler, Anne, A Spool of Blue Thread
Atkinson, Kate, A God in Ruins
McEwan, Ian, The Children Act
Smiley, Jane, Early Warning
Crummy, Michael, Sweetland
Rash, Ron, Something Rich and Strange
Haruf, Kent, Our Souls at Night
Johnson, Adam, Fortune Smiles
Lent, Jeffrey, A Slant of Light

I was elated that my friend Anne Tyler was a finalist for the Man Booker Prize for A Spool of Blue Thread!

P.S.:A cautionary tale for anyone tempted to take Ambien or its relatives as a sleep aid: I have been taking Zolpidem for years at bedtime. It has always given me very vivid dreams, but my doctor didn’t seem to think that remarkable. On September 30th, I found myself in the midst of one of those dreams—so real—and in the middle of it I realized I was falling. I hauled myself back upstairs & entered my room. Only then did I wake up & realize I was in my own house. I had fallen down 7 steps to the landing. After an ER trip, I found I had a minor fracture in my right ankle. Everyone in the ER told me NEVER TAKE AMBIEN AGAIN! “It causes hallucinations & danger of falling in older people.” I have posted this story on Facebook & received over 100 responses, many attesting to horror stories of their own, and all echoing the same caution. So count sheep, everybody, & sweet dreams!


410 377 5026; aheuisler@comcast.net

Add a comment

Giving to Hood

Contributions to Hood help us fulfill our commitment to preparing students for lives of responsibility, leadership and service. As an institution founded upon philanthropy, our heritage of benevolence is one of Hood’s most important and enduring traditions.

Make a Gift

Contact Us

401 Rosemont Ave.
Frederick, Maryland 21701
(301) 663-3131